This post contains an affiliate link which means that, at no extra cost to you, I earn a commission on your purchase through these links. I only recommend products that I use, truly love, and excited to share!
There seems to be two kinds of people when it comes to essential oils, those who love them and those that don’t want to try them. I am one of the people that LOVE them! Learning about oils and introducing them into my home is one of the best things I have done for the health of my family.
Since my family has started using them we have been healthier. When we get sick (which is rare, and the common cold is the only thing we get) it only hangs around for a few days and it doesn’t get spread to each family member living in the house.
There are many oils to choose from so which ones should you use. I have included the staples of what I use for my family. Use this as a starting point and be sure to do your own research, there is lots to learn.
What are Essential Oils
They are the concentrated liquid plant extracts. The extraction of the oils is done through a process called distillation. The parts of the plants used are roots, leaves, stems, flowers, and bark and even grasses.
Why I Started Using Essential Oils
I was introduced to oils at a MOPS meeting. We had someone come who sold DoTerra oils and talk to us about them. I was intrigued so that day I started doing my own research. Wow, I had no idea there was so much to learn. I was excited so I ran, not really I drove, to my health food store and bought a couple of bottles. These oils worked, but as I learned later there were better brands out there.
What Make Essential Oils so Great
Each essential oil serves a purpose. They are:
- help with digestion, fungi, parasites
- healing wounds
- strengthen immune system
- and so much more
God gave us the resources to be healthy and heal quickly, we just need to use them.
Oils I Use
I use a lot of different oils for various things but the ones I primarily use to keep my family healthy are Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, and Tea Tree. Why these? Because these are safe for children and cover my needs.
- Lavender is calming, (which makes it great for babies You can use it on a child 6 months and up) anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and helps with bruises. I put lavender on my son when I took him to child care to help him not get sick or as sick from all the other kids.
- Peppermint is antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It helps to reduce fever and lessen the burn in sunburns. It can also help with arthritis, varicose veins, and swelling.
- Lemon is antibacterial. Treats infectious diseases, colds, sore throat, asthma, bronchitis, and flu.
- Tea Tree is antibacterial and antiviral. Good for respiratory illness
When I mix these it is a potent combination. With the combination of the oils and use of elderberry syrup (read my post about the benefits and a recipe) we are a pretty healthy household.
I am not going to endorse any brand but I do use Rocky Mountain Oils. After much research and comparing other companies this is the one I decided to try. I like the process they use to ensure purity of their oils and the relationship they have with their farmers. I have been a happy customer for five years. When doing most of my research on companies, I was finding a lot of information on DoTerra and Young Living. As I got smarter about oils I realized that is because they are MLM (multi level marketing) companies. Now, there is nothing wrong with this but it does give them more exposure and we tend to think if we see the same names a lot it means better.
My long winded point is: Do your own research on the companies to find:
- what they stand for
- how they choose their farmers
- what their distillation process is
- how they check the purity of their oils
What You Need to Know
- which oils need a carrier oil and what’s the ratio. Here is a Dilution Guide
- can they be diffused ( not all can)
- which ones are safe for children Oils that are Safe for Kids Guide
- is the oil phototoxic
How Do I Use Oils
- Diffuse: I now have two diffusers. They are usually in my kids rooms when they have a cold. I will also diffuse the citrus oils to help my home smell nice and uplift me and kill any bacteria and viruses floating around.
- Apply on the body
- Drink it. I added lemon oil to water when I had a bladder infection and it cured me, no antibiotics necessary!
- Clean with them
- Add to my skin care
I love essential oils so much and believe in them that I tell anyone that will listen (so I hope you were listening) 🙂
What is your experience with essential oils? Do you have a favorite?